|Season 1, Episode 4|
|First Aired||June 24, 2001|
"An Open Book"
The Fisher family wonder if Claire might have some part to play in the blaze across the street. Nate has Brenda over for dinner and it does not seem to go as well as expected. Nate is dealing with issues from every side, including a feud between a deceased's family and gang about how to handle his services. David tries to gain enough courage to stand up to Gilardi and handle issues with Keith and the clients.
- Peter Krause as Nate Fisher
- Michael C. Hall as David Fisher
- Frances Conroy as Ruth Fisher
- Lauren Ambrose as Claire Fisher
- Freddy Rodriguez as Federico Diaz
- Mathew St. Patrick as Keith Charles
- Rachel Griffiths as Brenda
- Jacob Vargas as Manuel "Paco" Bolin
Also Guest Starring
- Lombardo Boyar as Powerful
- Karmin Murcelo as Paco's Mother
- Garrison Hershberger as Matthew Gildari
- Dina Waters as Tracy Montrose Blair
- Candy Brown-Houston as Detective McBride
- Dean Norris as Detective Shea
- Armando Valdes as Luis
- Elizabeth Rodriguez as Sylvie
- Tony Perez as Paco's Father
- Mary-Pat Green as Priest
- Ken Abraham as Bowling Buddy
- Roger Velasco as Young Man With Tattoos
- Jim Ryan as A/C Repairman
- Blaine Pate as Redneck
- Luis Robledo as Rival
Manuel Pedro Antonio Bolin - "Paco"
February 6th, 1980 - February 15th, 2001
BOLIN, Manuel Pedro Antonio (20) died February 15. He graduated from Echo Park High School in 1999. Manuel leaves behind his loving girlfriend Sylvie Castillo and devoted parents Charles and Loretta.
Funeral Services this Saturday at Fisher & Sons funeral home. Funeral mass will be held at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday February 18 at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Echo Park. You will be in our hearts forever.
- Goof: According to Paco's dates of birth and death, he had just turned 21. However, his own parents say he was going to soon turn 21.
- This is the first episode where the episodic preview features the song Nothing Lies Still Long by Pell Mell.
|Inspiration Information||Shuggie Otis|
|Body of Binky||Coinmonster|
|Sleeping Beauty||Piotr Tchaikovsky|
|Sufriendo A Solas||Mariachi All-Stars|
|Ave Maria||Franz Schubert|
|Four Seasons: Winter||Antonio Vivaldi|
|Happiest Girl in the Whole U.S.A.||Donna Fargo|
|Life on a Chain||Pete Yorn|
|A Mother for Your Mind||The Herbaliser|